Thursday 1 March 2012

More LED Lamps

Yesterday, I ordered some new 3W LED 12V bulbs to replace the 3 20W lamps currently in the kids bathroom.  I had been warned that I might need a new transformer, and that they might not work without changing it.

My brother-in-law is an electrician in France, and I asked him about the likelihood that they wouldn’t work, and he thought it would probably be worth a shot, but he had said that electronic transformers might not like such a low current draw.

Well, I plugged all three in, and it appeared to work, however after a short time, I noticed a distinctive hum.

The solution of course is to plug in one of the original 20W halogens, taking the load of the light from 60W to 26W with the new bulbs.  Still a big improvement!

As for the third bulb, I happened to have a failure simultaneously of my halogen desk lamp, which has a transformer, and two antennae which carry the 12V AC.  And from our redecoration of the kitchen several years back, I had kept an old halogen light fitting that clamped onto two rails.

So, a quick unscrew of the old fitting, and a clamp on of the new and I have a new desk lamp that also draws only 3W!

Result!

No comments: