Sunday 28 June 2009

Why won’t Word 2007 save my documents in pretty HTML

Back in older versions of word, you could get an add-in to save to Export to Compact HTML.

Word 2007 includes built in saving of filtered HTML, but it's not without its problems.

While trying to update an online file, I found that word was generating the document in one language, and then setting the style of every paragraph to be

lang="EN-GB"

That was eventually solved by changing the default UI language of the program, but I can't see why the UI input should be connected to the output when I save a file.

The old version of word was happy to export the file without all the noise, but the new version insisted on decorating every line. It also insisted on decorating the bullets and numbering with a hardcoded font reference to Times New Roman 7 point, and added an nbsp tag. Eventually I found the adjust list indents, and replaced it with a simple space, instead of a tab, which was the cause of that particular problem.

Of course, blogging isn't easy either

Not having wasted enough time today, I decided to start using my blog. Well, hey-ho, I can't upload to blogger either.

It looks like it's because I haven't yet saved my file in docx format, and therefore it can't be uploaded!

No comments: